Date: 12/21/20 9:27 am
From: Cynthia Ehlinger via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Greenwich-Stamford CBC 12/20 highlights
12/20/20 - Greenwich-Stamford CBC highlights
Cynthia Ehlinger, compiler

Preliminary results from Sunday's Christmas Bird Count tallied 112 total
species plus 3 count week birds. That is only slightly above the past
30-year median. Since 1990, we have counted more than 110 species in just
13 years.

The surprise miss was Monk Parakeet, which had been declining in its
stronghold in Stamford. Count week only birds so far were Greater
Yellowlegs, Laughing Gull, and Brown-headed Cowbird. However, Rusty
Blackbird. Red-winged Blackbird, and Common Grackle, all showed up on count
day. Highlights were some of this year's irruptive species: Red Crossbill,
Common Redpoll, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Pine Siskin (but no Evening
Grosbeak). There was a good showing of Owls, including Long-eared and
Northern Saw-Whet, and Sparrows, including Savannah, Chipping, Field, Fox
and Eastern Towhee. Warblers were scarce except for a Common Yellowthroat.
The Sound and coastal counts located American Pipits, Horned Larks, Snow
Buntings Glaucous Gull, Bonaparte's Gull, Razorbill, and Purple Sandpiper,
plus six Common Eider, a species that has been seen fairly regularly all
along the CT coast this winter, but are often absent this far west in most
years.

A huge thank you to the nearly 40 participants who trekked in the snow and
mist and managed the Covid limitations to make for another fun but safe
birding adventure. And special thanks to Ryan MacLean and Greenwich Audubon
for hosting our Zoom meeting so we could still hear the reports, share
stories and see one another after a full day of great birding -- all
to contribute to the nation's longest-running community science bird
project.

Cynthia Ehlinger
<cynthia.ehlinger...>