Date: 12/21/20 9:25 am
From: Jackson Smith via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Continuing Ovenbird and White-throated Sparrows, Wooster Square
The Wooster Square Ovenbird now regularly greets me as I leave my
apartment. It appears to be foraging on sunflower seeds tossed to the
sidewalk by the chickadees and titmice that visit my third-story window
feeder directly above.

On another note, White-throated Sparrows recently started visiting my
feeder window (in addition to joining the Ovenbird on the sidewalk). They
feed on the sunflower seeds that fall onto the window ledge underneath the
feeder. I was surprised to see them this high up--I always thought of them
as exclusively ground feeders. At one point yesterday there were seven on
my window ledge and adjacent tree branches. Is this behavior (e.g.,
White-throated Sparrows feeding this high off the ground) not as uncommon
as I thought, or is this perhaps due to the difficulty of finding food on
the snow-covered ground?

Jackson Smith
Wooster Square, New Haven