Date: 12/20/20 10:23 pm
From: m_m_rogers <m.m.rogers...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Alviso - San Jose CBC - 12/20/2020
All,

Today 12/20/2020, Steve Rottenborn and I birded the Alviso Marina and the ponds north of there for the San Jose CBC, tallying over 20,000 birds of 97 species. It was a good day for geese, with 464 CACKLING GEESE (all ID'd being ALEUTIANS) flying over in 7 flocks between 7:44am and 8:57am. A heard-only GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE flew over at 11:36am and a flock of 76 more flew northwest at 3:38pm. An adult SNOW GOOSE was seen departing Pond A8 at 8:50am and later two adults were found on Pond A14 at 12:20pm. These birds departed at 1:40pm and circled over Alviso for at least 10 minutes before disappearing.

We started out at the Marina, where we found a notable four HOUSE WRENS, a SWAMP SPARROW in the southeast corner of the marina (returning bird?), 2 COOPER'S HAWKS, and 3 sightings of MERLINS that pertained to at least two different birds. Besides the Snow Goose, peeking into Pond A8 from behind the marina added the day's only BELTED KINGFISHER and SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

As always, Pond A14 held the most birds, with 11,000 ducks and 1580 AMERICAN COOTS. Rarer ducks included 4 adult male EURASIAN WIGEON, 3 BLUE-WINGED TEAL, and 1 RING-NECKED DUCK. Notable on Pond A11 were 3 adult male BARROW'S GOLDENEYES, a SURF SCOTER, and 3 RING-NECKED DUCKS. Another male EURASIAN WIGEON was on Pond A10.

Other birds of note included a hybrid adult male NORTHERN SHOVELER x BLUE-WINGED TEAL in New Chicago Marsh east of the railroad tracks, 2 SNOWY PLOVERS on Pond A15, 4 adult PEREGRINE FALCONS, and a SANDERLING.

Mike Rogers
Sunnyvale, CA

View/Reply Online (#23259): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23259
-=-=-