Date: 12/20/20 4:04 pm
Subject: MacGillivray's Warbler age/sex
I was fortunate enough to see and get excellent photographs of the Duck
MacGillivray's Warbler. I had heard some speculation that the bird was
believed to be an adult female. If so, I disagree. Based on multiple images,
the region between the eye and bill, including above and especially below
the eye is black and there are a smattering of black feathers at the
boundary of the gray hood and yellow breast. These features point to the
bird being a male which is supported by the richness of the yellow of the
underparts. The lack of prominent black at the terminus of the hood and the
grayish-white throat suggest that the bird is not a full adult. The tertials
and secondaries are fringes with pale buff - suggesting that it may be a
bird of the year. However, the greater wing coverts are a little frayed and
not edged, but the tips of the tail feathers do have pointed tips which also
suggests it's a first year bird. The coloration (underparts and head
pattern) seems strong (bold) for (field guide) illustrations of juvenile
plumage but overall I believe the bird is a young male.

I will soon add my best pics to the growing collection already posted. Neat
bird regardless. It's been a long time since I've seen one.

Mike Tove

Cary, NC

Join us on Facebook!