Date: 12/20/20 11:26 am
From: Aaronian, Richard S. <raaronian...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Seabrook CBC
Greetings all,

It was a cold, but beautiful, start to the day as compared to the rainy mess we dealt with with last year. In addition to the 72 species observed in Seabrook yesterday (the highest total I have recorded since reporting on this sector), we also had the highest number of participants -17. Clearly, Seabrook is the place to be birding on a cold Saturday in December! We missed seeing Art Borror and Lee Pollock this year but hope they will be able to be with us in 2021. The group was divided into 3 parties, and I appreciate the efforts of David Blezard and Henry Stevens for leading the other two groups. Although we know it was necessary this year, having to travel in so many different vehicles made it even more challenging.

The diversity of species seen this year was exceptional as it seems to be in other sectors. The sea ducks seen were the usual suspects but, unfortunately, we did not see any alcids or gannets not for lack of trying. Raptors did cooperate, however, and we were able to observe Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, Sharp-shinned and Cooper's, Red-tailed and Harrier. The highlight of the raptor group was a magnificent adult Rough-legged Hawk flying right in front of us over Clamshell Rd. in Seabrook. Six woodpecker species was nice to have and the 5 Belted KF didn't seem to be bothered by the cold. Seabrook can always be counted on for the adult Glaucous Gull and it did not disappoint us as it stood in its usual spot showing off its pink legs and feet. It did appear as if it missed the jelly doughnuts traditionally offered by Art Borror, however. Purple SP, Dunlin and Sanderlings also cooperated in addition to a single Black-bellied Plover. Although we were disappointed that no Snowy Owl was seen in our sector (were they seen anywhere?), HBSP did have its usual Horned Larks and Snow Buntings along with one Lapland Longspur. Redpolls were a treat to see in the park as well as at other locations. A Common Raven was heard in the Beckman's Island marsh at the start of the day as well. We looked hard for crossbills and siskins but no luck. I'm sure we all look forward to the final tally from Len which, based on reports from other groups, should be a good one.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Rich Aaronian