Date: 12/19/20 9:58 pm
From: Barry Langdon-Lassagne via groups.io <wilmot...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Ogier Ponds Numbering System
Bill,

I’ve updated openstreetmap.org to use the numbering system you reference. If you go here, you’ll see that the ponds now have numbers associated with them and that the Borrow Pit Reclamation Ponds are now properly named. Open Street Maps sometimes has lag in updating their tiles, so pond 3 appears just as “Ogier Ponds” for some magnifications.

I was wondering about pond 6. Is it enough of a permanent water feature for me to label it in Open Street Maps? I’m happy to add it, I just wasn’t sure as I’ve never been to that location. The pond doesn’t appear at all in Google Maps (non-satellite) and appears huge in Apple Maps. In satellite photos it looks fairly small, as it appears on your enclosed image.

Barry
~

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 8:36 PM, Bill Bousman <barlowi...> wrote:
>
> Folks:
>
> If you plan to visit the Ogier Ponds, it would be helpful if you would use the numbering system employed by Valley Water and the county Department of Parks and Recreation. Steve Rottenborn was kind enough to put me on to a report "Ogier Ponds Feasibility Study" published in March 2018. That report employs a numbering system that I had not seen before and I have taken the liberty to combine that numbering system along with a Google Earth image made on 5/9/2018 and a few more-or-less helpful labels. I've attached that image.
>
> Note that Coyote Creek enters at the southeast corner. Prior to 1997, the creek flowed between levees within its old stream course to the northwest corner. In the winter of 1996-97, Anderson Dam was overtopped and the creek broke through the berm or levee on the northeast side and into Pond 1. Ponds 1, 2, 3, and 4 were interconnected, but to that time they were filled with rainfall or ground water. After the levee break, Coyote Creek found its own way through those ponds and returns to its old stream bed at the southwest end of Pond 4. At that time, most of us visited the ponds via Barnhart Avenue from the Monterey Highway. But again, this time in the winter of 2016-2017, Coyote Creek was in flood again and took out Barnhart Road.
>
> Bill Bousman
> Menlo Park
>

> <Ogier Ponds.png>

View/Reply Online (#23232): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23232