Date: 12/19/20 6:14 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Memories are good.
Thanks to Dave Gibson this comment,

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: David Gibson <20cabot...>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 18:47:49 -0500
To: Peter Trull <petrull...>
Cc: Massbird <massbird...>

Love it, Peter!
Dave Gibson
https://birdpartner.com/

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Peter Trull <petrull...> wrote:

With permission of the moderator….

Massbirders,

With the beginning of Christmas Count season, I thought of this incident
 from many years ago when Blair N. Vern Laux and I were doing the
Falmouth count. We spotted a feeder in a side yard with a number of
birds, so we stopped to check it out.  As we walked across the yard a
man came out angrily shouting “ What the hell are you doing? Private
property “ and stuff like that, quite agitated. We explained the bird
count and its purpose etc, but still the land owner got tough and
sharply dismissed us. At that point, Vern, in his frighteningly
enthusiastic temperament,  walked up close to the guy’s face and said
“WHAT? YOU DON’T LIKE BIRDS???”…. Now, if you knew Vern, towering bundle
of joy that he was, you must laugh at the thought of this….. The man
replied, “Ya, Ya, Ya, I like birds, there’s a goldfinch.”

There are so many stories we could tell about Vernon Laux, that’s one of
my favorites.

Peter Trull

Brewster

<petrull...> <mailto:<petrull...>