Date: 12/19/20 3:09 pm
From: Peter Trull <petrull...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Memories are good.
With permission of the moderator….
Massbirders,
With the beginning of Christmas Count season, I thought of this incident from many years ago when Blair N. Vern Laux and I were doing the Falmouth count. We spotted a feeder in a side yard with a number of birds, so we stopped to check it out. As we walked across the yard a man came out angrily shouting “ What the hell are you doing? Private property “ and stuff like that, quite agitated. We explained the bird count and its purpose etc, but still the land owner got tough and sharply dismissed us. At that point, Vern, in his frighteningly enthusiastic temperament, walked up close to the guy’s face and said “WHAT? YOU DON’T LIKE BIRDS???”…. Now, if you knew Vern, towering bundle of joy that he was, you must laugh at the thought of this….. The man replied, “Ya, Ya, Ya, I like birds, there’s a goldfinch.”
There are so many stories we could tell about Vernon Laux, that’s one of my favorites.
Peter Trull
Brewster
<petrull...>
petertrull.org