Date: 12/18/20 6:36 am
From: Steve Morytko via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Storrs CBC results
The Storrs CBC was held Tuesday, Dec 15 which was a cool, rather windy day in our area. Holding the count on a weekday worked out fairly well this year as almost all of our regular participants were available. Our results benefitted from not having any seasonal hard freezes yet and only partly frozen still water which kept waterfowl around. Wind was a factor owling too but we detected all expected species.
Highlights of unusual species for our inland count area were: Lesser Scaup, Common Loon, Double-crested Cormorant, Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Pine Warbler (cw), Palm Warbler, White-winged Crossbill, Common Redpoll, and Pine Siskin.
We had 14 observers, 74 species, and 7231 total birds. Species count at 74 wasn't our highest (78) but about average for the last 10 years. Absent were Gray Catbird, Lapland Longspur, Snow Bunting, Eastern Towhee, and Purple Finch which are uncommon but present with some regularity. We dipped on Great Blue Heron (cw), Rusty Blackbird, and Common Grackle too. Some of the more common songbird numbers were down significantly (the wind was a likely factor) but we still ended up with only slightly below recent average total birds.
Good luck to other Christmas count participants who will have much different ground conditions to work with.
Steve Morytko - Storrs (CTST) count compiler
Steve MorytkoAshford CT