Date: 11/21/20 5:44 pm
From: David Guertin <dave...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Can’t ID
I'm looking at the Nat Geo guide and Sibley side-by-side now. The
painting in the Nat Geo guide does emphasize the yellow-olive head and
back more than Sibley does. I'll see if I can get a decent photo to send
you.

I own several field guides, but those are the two I use most frequently.
Sibley seems to be the de facto standard (with good reason), but I find
that sometimes the Nat Geo guide emphasizes different characteristics
that are helpful, so I often use it as a companion to Sibley.

Dave

On 11/21/20 8:33 PM, Richard Littauer wrote:
> I am curious about something. Kim, or anyone else who owns *Nat Geo Birds
> of North America*, would you mind sending me a photo of the Pine Grosbeak
> page?
>
> I suspect that they may have used examples that have more olive coloration
> than our subspecies, here, which is predominately grey. That would make for
> a confusing ID.
>
> Best,
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 4:13 PM Kim Sargeant <grammiekims...> wrote:
>
>> I trust that they are Pine grosbeaks. Everyone’s descriptions and reasons
>> make sense
>>
>> Thanks all
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 2:46 PM Charlie Teske <cteske140...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you looked at Pine Grosbeaks?
>>>

>>> On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:06:58 -0500, Kim Sargeant <grammiekims...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> For at least two days I have been seeing a small flock of birds feasting
>> on
>>> the fruit of an ornamental apple. Tiny fruits.
>>>
>>> The birds are grosbeak size with the same type of tail. They seem to be
>>> mostly gray, darker on top, with some whitish wing bars. Though not
>> bright
>>> white. The sky has been gray, gray birds, no binos while walking my pup.
>>> haven’t found them in my Nat Geo Birds of North America book.
>>>
>>> Kim
>>> e Grosbeaks

Join us on Facebook!