Date: 11/21/20 5:24 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Petrel vs. Shearwater
Sorry again. As Jeff mentions Great-winged and the similar White-faced
Petrels are perhaps split now.
Great-winged has very much less white on the face, restricted to right
under the bill according to Harrison's illustrations.
I believe Great-winged has been seen well offshore California at some
previous time.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 5:20 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> Whoops, forgot to sign. Bob OBrien Carver OR
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
>> After some study I'll have to agree with Jeff's immediate identification
>> as Great-winged Petrel.
>> Additional photos would be very, very helpful, even if blurry' and of
>> course, as Jeff mentions, flight style.
>> The main distinction is a very different shape/jizz in the photos
>> attached.
>> Great-winged has a much stubbier bill as this bird shows and a different
>> overall shape, even though about the same size.
>> See attached comparison with Short-tailed and Sooty Shearwaters, the only
>> real competitors.
>> I've posted this photo previously a few years ago as a distinction
>> between the two shearwaters. My main computer
>> with the original image is currently dead, awaiting resurrection. This
>> one has a bunch of lines indicating comparative sizes
>> of the two. The sizes are quite different. Just ignore the lines in
>> this situation which apply only to the shearwaers..
>> Note the quite different bills in all 3. Sooty and Short-tailed narrow
>> but different in length.
>> Note the short stubby bill on the Petrel. The overall size/shape of the
>> neck/head is bulky in the Petrel and slender in both shearwaters.
>> Note the rather sharp wing-tips of the shearwaters and the blunter tips
>> of the Petrol.
>> Both of these marks are discussed in field guides, particularly in er
>> Harrison's *Seabirds*.
>> The stubby bill shows well in Ed McVicar's photos:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/albums/72157609277544338/with/3038351657/
>> I fully realize that the relative shapes of flying seabirds can vary with
>> wind, current flight, etc. Nevertheless, IMHO I'm pretty confident of
>> Jeff's original ID.

Join us on Facebook!