Date: 11/21/20 3:54 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (21 Nov 2020) 453 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 2
Swainson's Hawk 0 0 1

Total: 453 3687 114922

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Kory Renaud

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
A cooler day after another warm spell. The temperatures hovered around 5
degrees Celsius, with a slight breeze from the North all day. The clouds
were thick in the morning, but thinned out in the afternoon revealing a
gorgeous blue sky in which many raptors flew.

Raptor Observations:
All signs pointed to a good day, but have been disappointed in the
past...not today! Raptors delivered on their promise, and we ended our day
with 453 individuals. Red-tailed Hawks ruled the sky today with 371
individuals, most flying in the late afternoon. Red-shouldered Hawks also
came in good number with 42 individuals. Sharp-shins, Cooper's, and
Harriers sometimes mixed in some buteo streams. In addition, we counted two
light-morph Rough-legged Hawks, an American Kestrel, and tree Golden
Eagles.
As the season winds down, it was great to see a great numbers of hawks!

Non-raptor Observations:
Big movements of Common Redpolls today as 170 individuals zipped past the
tower. The flocks just kept coming! Of course, American Goldfinches, Cedar
Waxwings, and Horned Larks also flew by. Also moving along in big numbers
today were American Crows with 2710 individuals.
At the base of the tower, American Tree Sparrows are abundant and we had
our first Fox Sparrow of the year.
On the lake, thousands of Canvasbacks formed rafts, bobbing up and down on
the water.
Full eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S76517722

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks like it will be a damp day. A mix of snow and rain is
expected in the morning, only to turn to rain by mid-morning. The wind will
be coming from the North-East, hopefully pushing any hawks attempting to
migrate close to the tower. Northern Harriers are known for travelling in
the worst weather, tomorrow could be a good day for them. Stay dry, folks!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<d492df8002ade4d9b7851ebfa1f82ecc...>