Date: 11/21/20 3:46 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Glaucous Gull San Gregorio etc.
Joe
It is a classic Red-winged behavior, it seems to me that Tricolored
blackbirds are mixed but in general I see a preponderance of males on the
coast. Yellow-headed Blackbirds also segregate, it would be interesting to
see what Great-tailed Grackles do in areas where they are common. The reason
is that sexual size dimorphism may be one of the factors in sex segregated
flocks. Certainly oropendolas in the Neotropics segregate during the
non-breeding season, and they have the largest size dimorphism of any bird.
Great-tailed grackles are not too far behind.
Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
<alvaro...>
www.alvarosadventures.com