Date: 11/21/20 3:34 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (21 Nov 2020) 78 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 78 3036 100465

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood

Visitors:
While Lake Erie Metropark is currently open to the public, for the safety
of our counter and volunteers we encourage visitors to follow along with
the count virtually on HawkCount.org, or our Detroit River Hawk Watch
Facebook page. There will be daily updates and photographs.If you do decide
to join us in person, please help the counter and volunteers to follow
their mandated safety protocols by refraining from approaching them. Please
follow the recommended Covid 19 procedures by wearing a mask and
maintaining a safe social distance. Thanking you in advance for your
cooperation. Stay safe!

Weather:
A return to more seasonal weather was in the cards today as northern winds
brought cooler air to the site. The barometer was above 30.5” although
the sky was filled with various permutations of clouds until they mostly
cleared in the afternoon replaced by high cirrus clouds indicating the
precipitation to come tomorrow. Winds were light and changing from the NNE
to a more easterly direction as the day progressed, ending ENE.
Temperatures were in the middle forties by the end of day but felt a few
degrees cooler.

Raptor Observations:
Today looked to provide better impetus for the birds to move closer to our
site with a more favorable wind. The numbers were indeed better than the
last two days. We had ten turkey vultures today as stragglers continue to
move in small numbers. We counted three bald eagles. One sharp-shinned hawk
was noted. Falcons were represented by one merlin. This is the buteo season
and they were on the move but perhaps in less than expected, although
respectable, numbers. Twenty one red-shouldered hawks showed their
crescents and forty two red-tailed hawks made their presence known.

Non-raptor Observations:
The curious thing this morning was that large numbers of ducks were seen
heading in the opposite direction to their usual path. Perhaps they were
just up exercising their wings. Gulls were also up in numbers today, at
times obscuring the view as we searched for raptors. Crows were on the move
today with large murders passing from time to time.

Predictions:
As per Weather Underground’s prediction, tomorrow looks to be a rain/snow
out. Other predictions may disagree, but NE winds with falling barometer
and cold temperatures do not look inviting to most species so stay tuned.
Report submitted by Andrew Sturgess (<ajyes72...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<110c22df6641d717f393c159ae0a9045...>