Date: 11/21/20 3:28 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (21 Nov 2020) 109 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 15 72

Total: 109 1179 9248

Observation start time: 08:45:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Brian Butler, Brian Hardiman, Maura Griffin, Phil Rodriguez

Visitors:
Special SHOUT OUT to the following folks who missed attending
todays festivities:
Larry Bailey- Our idol !!! Love you and miss you !!
Scott Wood- Just wasn't the same without you buddy !!
Scott Kalter & Sydney Long- Missing you guys !
Andy & Megan Fedor- Haven't seen you all season long ?!?!
John Workman- Thinking of you John !
Mike Reese- Hope to see you up top in the future !

Hikers- 50+

Weather:
Temp- 46 -52 Deg.F Wind- NW@ 3-10mph
Heavy cloud cover & thick haze

Raptor Observations:
BE- 11:18A, 11:20I, 11:24A, 11:44I (3), 11:46A, 11:50I, 11:57I
12:15I, 1:18I, 1:20A, 1:25A, 2:38I
GE- 12:50I

COONAPALOOZA XVI !!!!
What a wonderful celebration of the mountain. the raptors, and
most importantly the people that make this hawk watch so special !
We had a great day on the ridge ( of course making sure to maintain proper
social distance and wearing masks ) and the raptors put on a spectacular
show for us all ! Redtails and Bald Eagles leading the charge !
We counted 14 Balds today but easily saw over 20 birds. Redtails seemed
to be streaming thru all day long. We tallied over 100 raptors today
easily
setting a new Coonapalooza record count !! Just awesome !
A few special moments today with a new "landmark" being created for
our previous lead counter Brian Hardiman who had spent 17 years
as lead counter before passing the torch to me. Brian actually has
spent decades on the ridge and Coon will always be a part of his life!
"Hardiman's Hump" was dedicated today and is now one of our official
landmarks to call out incoming raptors.
Congrats to David and Rachel !!! Baby # 3 is on the way !!!
Gonna' be a lot of little hawk watchers up on Coon in the near future !
Many thanks to Stephen Bagen and Maura Griffin for their hard work
in getting the Coonapalooza quote board, quiz, and this year's business
card all put together !! A thankless job and you guys always kill it !!!
Thank you Jack McCormack for this years Coonapalooza shirt !
Thank you Craig Stockert for the Coonapalooza Scope II !! Awesome !
Al Ambler for the killer pulled pork !
Our Coonapalooza attendees this year are: ( in no particular order )
Denise Thomson, Stephen Bagen, Troy Fetherman ( and Ahri ),
Tom Campbell, Harry Quinn, Jack McCormack, Craig Stockert,
David Dunbar, Al & Jackie Ambler, Joe Goddu, Bob Pijanowski,
Bradley White, Mike Leone with Nora and Annabelle
Brian Hardiman, Phil Rodriguez, Maura Griffin, Brian Butler, Phil Ribolow
Many other folks up top whose names I didn't get.. my apologies !!
The raptors were keeping me hopping today !!
Our Bird of the Day Selection goes to the POINT BLANK adult
Bald Eagle that came in from the reservoir side and extremely close
to the watch site. Crossed the ridge right in front of us and than
passed close by on the river side offering killer looks !

Non-raptor Observations:
TV's & BV's
Loons- 5
Ravens- 8
Coonapalooza Porkie
Bear - seen by Troy F. on the hike out
Voodoo Child !
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi
NJ Bird Records Committee: www.njbrc.com