Date: 11/21/20 3:05 pm
From: Marlene A Condon <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender marlenecondon for DMARC)
Subject: [va-bird] kestrel on wire Nov. 6, katydid on deck Nov. 20!--western Albemarle
I forgot to report a kestrel on a wire by the roadway in Crozet Nov. 6 in the same area I'd seen one last year (route 810).     And right after I sent in my report about the American Lady flying when it was so chilly out, I saw a katydid on my deck railing (it was much warmer than for the butterfly)--remarkably late to spot one of these! It's concerning to see insects out when there's almost nothing to feed them (native plants have petered out). I have only a very few Black Knapweed blooms left and all the insects are going to them on these warm afternoons. The value of nonnative plants is that they have a longer blooming season than natives, so in this era of climate change, they are extremely helpful to insects, especially bees, that overwinter.    Sincerely,   Marlene    https://InDefenseofNature.blogspot.com/
<bird...> To unsubscribe, send email to