Date: 11/21/20 2:25 pm
From: Claire Nemes <c.e.nemes...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Black Duck (?) photos
Hi Pat,

I don't see any reason to think this isn't a pure American Black Duck. The
speculum (at least from these photos) looks like an indigo/purplish color
consistent with ABDU. Black Duck x Mallard hybrids often show moderate
white edging on the speculum from the Mallard parent, which this bird
doesn't have. There's also a nice clean difference in color between the
chocolate brown body and the lighter head and neck, again as expected for
pure Black Duck.

Ducks hybridize so often that it's always possible for there to be Mallard
genes back in there somewhere, but nothing about this bird indicates a
first-generation hybrid to me. Others might have different thoughts, though!

Cheers,
Claire