Date: 11/21/20 2:16 pm
From: Glenn Williams <gswilliams9...> [RIBIRDS] <RIBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [RIBIRDS] Western Kingbird - North Stonington
While atlasing this afternoon, I found a Western Kingbird at the southern end of the Connecticut portion of Boombridge Road in North Stonington. It was about 200 feet north of the closed bridge that crosses the Pawcatuck River - the Connecticut/Rhode Island border. It spent most of it's time in the 25 or so minutes I observed it in the large tree on the Connecticut side of the river in the large calf pen, though it disappeared for a few minutes twice, one time seen flying back from the RI side of the river. It was actively flycatching  and frequently grabbed food from the ground. First seen at about 1:45, it flew south along the river, perched at the top of a tree, then disappeared while I was talking to a woman who had come to see the progress of the bridge rebuilding (closed for ten years now). It presumably continued south, but it could be remaining in the area - lots of good habitat. Several birder thought they saw it fly across the river over an hour after its last sighting, but no one saw it well enough to confirm a reappearance.

Glenn Williams
Mystic, CT

Posted by: Glenn Williams <gswilliams9...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)