Date: 11/21/20 10:46 am
From: Kyla Yuza-Pate <yuzapate...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Not a sighting - Evening Grosbeak sightings map
Howdy folks,

If you're a member of the Facebook group Iowa Birding, you may know that
I've been compiling Iowa Evening Grosbeak sightings and reports and
formatting them into a map.

I've been pulling data from this listserv, eBird, and Iowa-focused birding
groups to visualize which counties have had sightings, how recent the
latest sighting was, and how many sightings per county have been reported.

I used a combination of R (statistical programming language) and QGIS
(mapping software) to organize the data and visualize it. If you have any
questions about my process, feel free to send me an email directly.

I've attached today's updated map to this email. So far, 19 counties have
had reports of Evening Grosbeaks - primarily the east and central parts of
the state. Most reports are more than 2 weeks old (a lot of activity from
the beginning of November and not much since), and all counties have had
less than 4 reports total.

Here's to hoping we can get those numbers up! :)

Best,
Kyla Yuza, Ames, IA
--
Kyla Yuza-Pate (she/her)