Date: 11/21/20 10:18 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: more purple
Watching some purple finches at the feeder today. Where I sit on the couch
is about 15 feet or so from where the feeder is. Decided to put my
binoculars on the purple finches(how could you not?) and I was intrigued by
the differences in the birds. There were what I thought were three females
on one side of the feeder, right by each other so as to provide good side
by side comparison. Other than some differences in streaking, one of them
looked the most ordinary... One bird's rump had something of a yellowish
tinge to it... the other... had the strong eyebrow and strong brown streaks
of a female purple finch... but, it had some hints of red, on the head,
throat, and the rump. Interesting bird...
Has me, as usual, longing for a camera.
I've been wrestling with that issue for a while. I am very picky, worry a
lot about bad choices, and weighing different options drives me NUTS...
Add to some of that(and more) that I'm poor... oy...
I thought I settled on a camera, fuji finepix s1... then I went to see
where to buy it and I could only find a few that were in "good" condition.
I have a hard time thinking about "good" when it comes to used items.
I was leaning towards that after having a few people suggest the canon
powershot sx50... the fuji has weather sealing while most other bridge type
cameras do not.
So then I tried looking up cameras with weather sealing, not finding a lot
that is "affordable." Found a panasonic but the zoom was just 24x and I'd
really prefer a little more.
I've had people pushing me to dslr but I have a few concerns... 1. Will I
be devoted enough to learning how to use one properly??? That's really a
big one. And 2. There's just way too many options to think about. So, I'm
lost on the internet searching for stuff/info while simultaneously watching
birds. I guess it isn't all bad. :)
(any thoughts on the finches?)
Lost in Siloam Springs...
--