Date: 11/21/20 9:32 am
From: <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] <inlandcountybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) - 20 Nov 2020
I spent Friday 20 November 2020 (6:15 AM to 4:15 PM) checking a few
locations in the Imperial Valley and along the south shore of the Salton
Sea. I started the day at the IID Wetlands south of Niland, then moved
northward into Niland. In Niland I birded north along International Avenue,
then along the southern part of Wilkins Road north of town. I then returned
to Niland and birded west along 4th Street, and south on Luna Avenue. From
there I drove southwestward to the wetlands at the intersection of Pound and
Davis Roads, then southwestward to the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge
HQ, stopping to look at the eastern part of Morton Bay on the way. I then
spent a little time around the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ
buildings, at the ponds adjacent to Rock Hill, and looking at the shoreline
of the Salton Sea from Rock Hill. From the Salton Sea National Wildlife
Refuge HQ I drove southwestward to Obsidian Butte, then on southwestward
along the shore of the Salton Sea to the west end of Young Road. From there
I drove eastward on Young and Eddins Roads and spent a little time checking
for birds around the scattered residences west of Calipatria. From there I
drove south into Brawley. In Brawley I looked at Riverview Cemetery, the
hummingbird feeders on Willard Avenue and at Cattle Call Park. I then drove
south on Dogwood Road and looked at the flooded area immediately east of the
intersection of Keystone and Dogwood Roads, the Branches Gun Club and the
wet area along Neckel Road at the Imperial County Landfill. I then drove
west to Forrester Road, looked at Sheldon Reservoir, and ended the day at
Fig Lagoon.

Partial cloud-cover with no wind, and temperatures ranging from 55 to
80 degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Snow Goose (1200 - including two blue-morph Snow
Geese), Ross's Goose (10), Canada Goose (2 - two together in an irrigated
field west of Calipatria), Blue-winged Teal (2 - two at the intersection of
Pound and Davis Roads), Cinnamon Teal (50), Northern Shoveler (2500),
Gadwall (30), American Wigeon (150), Mallard (50), Northern Pintail (250),
Green-winged Teal (750), Canvasback (7 - seven on Sheldon Reservoir),
Redhead (2), Ring-necked Duck (5), Greater Scaup (20 - at least twenty close
enough to the shore of the Salton Sea to allow determination of head-shape
and other features with certainty), Lesser Scaup (30), Greater/Lesser Scaup
(150), Surf Scoter (1 - one "female" with Ruddy Ducks at the north end of
Lack Road was probably one of the three seen there by Caitlin Morrow on 12
November), Bufflehead (5), Common Goldeneye (1), Ruddy Duck (2500), Gambel's
Quail (25), Pied-billed Grebe (15), Eared Grebe (50), Western Grebe (25),
Clark's Grebe (2), Western/Clark's Grebe (20), Rock Pigeon (150), Eurasian
Collared-Dove (250), Inca Dove (15), Common Ground-Dove (25), White-winged
Dove (1 - one near the southern end of International Avenue in Niland),
Mourning Dove (150), Greater Roadrunner (2), Anna's Hummingbird (12),
Costa's Hummingbird (3), Ridgway's Rail (2), Sora (5), Common Gallinule
(15), American Coot (1500), Sandhill Crane (300 - about three hundred near
the intersection of Dogwood and Keystone Roads south of Brawley),
Black-necked Stilt (150), American Avocet (200), Black-bellied Plover (30),
Killdeer (25), Semipalmated Plover (1), Snowy Plover (5), Long-billed Curlew
(5), Marbled Godwit (25), Stilt Sandpiper (3 - three together at the flooded
area immediately east of the intersection of Keystone and Dogwood Roads),
Dunlin (1 - one with Least and Western Sandpipers off the west end of Young
Road), Least Sandpiper (350), Western Sandpiper (20), Least/Western
Sandpiper (1000), Long-billed Dowitcher (250), Spotted Sandpiper (5), Willet
(25), Greater Yellowlegs (15), Wilson's Snipe (1), Red-necked Phalarope (1 -
one at the flooded area immediately east of the intersection of Keystone and
Dogwood Roads), Ring-billed Gull (1500), Western Gull (1 - one adult at the
north end of Lack Road), California Gull (100), Herring Gull (30), Caspian
Tern (6), Forster's Tern (10), Common Loon (1 - one immature at Fig Lagoon),
Neotropic Cormorant (5), Double-crested Cormorant (150), American White
Pelican (15), Least Bittern (2), Great Blue Heron (15), Great Egret (75),
Snowy Egret (50), Cattle Egret (1500), Green Heron (1), Black-crowned
Night-Heron (15), White-faced Ibis (1500), Turkey Vulture (50), Osprey (1),
Northern Harrier (25), Cooper's Hawk (3), Zone-tailed Hawk (1 - one immature
seen perched and in flight along the southern part of Wilkins Road north of
Niland - a black Buteo with obvious yellow cere and legs, fine barring on
the tail and fine barring on the underside of the primaries and secondaries
- appears to be the first in the Imperial Valley since November 2014),
Red-tailed Hawk (20), Burrowing Owl (5), Belted Kingfisher (5), Gila
Woodpecker (1), Red-naped Sapsucker (1 - one adult at Cattle Call Park in
Brawley was the same bird first seen here on 7 October), Ladder-backed
Woodpecker (1), Northern Flicker (6), American Kestrel (30), Peregrine
Falcon (1), Black Phoebe (15), Say's Phoebe (20), Vermilion Flycatcher (4 -
one near the west end of 4th avenue in Niland, two in the area west of
Calipatria and one at Cattle Call Park in Brawley), Loggerhead Shrike (10),
Common Raven (5), Tree Swallow (150), Barn Swallow (5), Verdin (10), Rock
Wren (2 - one along the levee north of Young Road and one at Rock Hill),
House Wren (1), Marsh Wren (10), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (3), Black-tailed
Gnatcatcher (2), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (6), Western Bluebird (40 - five along
Luna Avenue in Niland, ten near Obsidian Butte and twenty-five around the
scattered residences west of Calipatria), American Robin (1 - one near the
southern end of International Avenue in Niland), Northern Mockingbird (15),
European Starling (75), Cedar Waxwing (1 - one at the west end of 4th Street
in Niland is the first that I have encountered locally this fall),
Phainopepla (10), House Sparrow (35), American Pipit (75), House Finch (25),
Lesser Goldfinch (2), Chipping Sparrow (5), White-crowned Sparrow (50),
Savannah Sparrow (30), Song Sparrow (10), Lincoln's Sparrow (1), Abert's
Towhee (10), Yellow-headed Blackbird (5), Western Meadowlark (25),
Red-winged Blackbird (1500), Brown-headed Cowbird (10), Brewer's Blackbird
(75), Great-tailed Grackle (150), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), Common
Yellowthroat (5) and Yellow-rumped Warbler (30) - 126 species.

Guy McCaskie

Join us on Facebook!