Date: 11/21/20 9:28 am
From: Brooke Miller via groups.io <idbirds...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Glaucous-winged x Glaucous Gull on Fri at Hellyer County Park
Folks,

Yesterday, 20-Nov, I was at Hellyer County Park looking for the Snow, Ross’s and Cackling Geese. After those were observed, I took to a bench to look at gulls. One of the photos I took is of a gull I thought was a Glaucous-winged, flying over Cottonwood Lake. When I came home and later looked at the photo I realized immediately that it was not a Glaucous-winged, and was probably something special. So, I posted on the North American Gulls Facebook page to get an ID. It was the determination of several ‘gullers’ that it was a Glaucous-winged x Glaucous Gull hybrid, apparently quite a special thing.

I took the photo at 12:22 pm of the gull flying around Cottonwood Lake. I didn’t get photos of the mantle or upper wings, just what you see in the photo. If anyone is going to Hellyer in the next day or so, if you see this gull, it would be great if you can get photos of its mantle and upper wings—probably easiest if it's on the water.

There was a good variety of gulls there mid-day yesterday: California Gulls, Herring Gulls, a couple juvenile Ring-billed Gulls, and a couple Glaucous-winged Gulls, plus many more coming in from above. I’m assuming these gulls are coming from the Kirby landfill.

Brooke Miller
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#23025): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23025
-=-=-