Date: 11/21/20 8:02 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Pandemic impacts on birding
This thread is *CLOSED.*

Quick review of procedure: When someone posts an inappropriate post, such
as insulting another OBOL member, I send him or her a warning. If they do
it a second time, they are put on Moderated Post, which means I will have
to review and approve any future posts.

Treesa Hertzel
OBOL Moderator

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Jon Book <shovelor...> wrote:

> Once again the self appointed speaker of all things non-birding chimes in.
>
> No one cares what you think about the pandemic Joel. Keep it to birding.
> Hope the moderator deletes your completely out of place message.
>
> Jon
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 21, 2020, at 7:49 AM, Joel Geier <clearwater...> wrote:
>

> This statement in yesterday's OBOL digest begs a response:
>
> > The impact of lockdowns and limiting our normal movement will ultimately
> be way worse than the pandemic itself.
>
> Such a statement could only be made by someone who lives in a state where,
> fortunately, the governor has taken proactive measures that have been
> effective to limit the spread of this contagion.
>
> It could only be said by someone who has not lost a friend or family
> member among the 254,320 Americans who have died so far, and who knows no
> one among the hundreds of thousands of others who are dealing with
> lingering effects after surviving the disease.
>
> Surely no one who knows anyone working long shifts in intensive care wards
> in one of the worst-affected states would say this.
>
> We've been very lucky so far in Oregon, by and large, though there are
> signs that we're on the leading edge of a wave that will get worse in the
> next few weeks. Please take a look at what's happening in Iowa, South
> Dakota, or Wisconsin right now, or in west Texas where they've re-purposed
> refrigerated semi trailers as morgues. Losing a bit of access to a favored
> birding spot or missing out on some hypothetical rarity is a very small
> price to pay, to avoid that scenario here.
>
> --
> Joel Geier
> Self-quarantining in the Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!