Date: 11/21/20 7:53 am
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: Re: [labird] Scoter ID?Capitol Lake?
Jay — in case you’re not familiar with the online resource “eBird", you can check these things for yourself by several ways, e.g. Explore > Hotspots > Capitol Lake/Arsenal, and then look at all photos from Recent Visits. Many show the white wing patch, and several of them show the head-bill pattern sufficiently to distinguish the two species without having to worry about oft-occluded wing patch. The head-bill difference are illustrated in all field guides, including even the oldest ones — you can pick up a used Peterson on Amazon for under $10.

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Emeritus Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu