Date: 11/21/20 6:07 am
From: Bill Sheehan <bill.j.sheehan...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Northern Maine Birds: Northern Cardinal irruption
I have been enjoying the reports of PIne and Evening Grosbeaks well south
of their usual winter range this year. Numbers of both of these species
have recently been above normal and well-distributed here in the northern
part of the state as well.

I wanted to note that there also appears to be a large influx of Northern
Cardinals into the northern part of the state this fall. Cardinal
overwinter in this area annually, but are typically seen in low numbers and
usually reported primarily at intown locations. This year cardinals
started being reported across southern Aroostook and northern Penobscot
counties in late October. Numbers have been building since with many
birders reporting multiple birds at their feeders as far north as Caribou.
Two females and a male at my feeders make a high count in the 30 years I've
lived here.

Redpoll flocks are abundant in the woods and fields, but these haven't been
visiting any feeders yet (that I have heard). Both flavors of nuthatches
also seem to be numerous this fall.

I have gotten a couple reports of Snowy Owls locally but they seem to have
been passing through and were not relocated.

Northern Shrikes and Bohemian Waxwings are being seen in typical numbers
for the season thus far.

Good Birding!

Bill

--