Date: 11/21/20 5:50 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [slocobirding] [eBird Alert] San Luis Obispo County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Harlequin Duck (1 report)
- Black Scoter (1 report)
- Pacific Golden-Plover (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (4 reports)
- Chipping Sparrow (1 report)
- Clay-colored Sparrow (1 report)
- Field Sparrow (15 reports)
- Black-throated Sparrow (1 report)
- Streak-backed Oriole (2 reports)
- Black-throated Gray Warbler (1 report)

Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 08:45 by Roger Zachary
- Avila Beach Drive, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.7495492&<ll...>,-120.7495492
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Out with Surf Scoters offshore; 1 photo"

Black Scoter (Melanitta americana) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 09:35 by Roger Zachary
- Avila Beach Pier, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.7343611&<ll...>,-120.7343611
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "continuing; feeding along the surfline with Surf Scoters; close to the pier"

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:57 by Jeff Davis
- Pecho Road Willows, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.85271&<ll...>,-120.85271
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird with tumor on right leg at intertarsal joint."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 10:45 by Roger Zachary
- Laguna Lake Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6903817&<ll...>,-120.6903817
- Media: 2 Photos

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (3)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 07:37 by Kai Mills
- Laguna Lake Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6903817&<ll...>,-120.6903817
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing pair and possible new addition of one other. At small peninsula (first dock when headed west from lakeside restroom parking lot) observed two Tropical Kingbirds together, at times perching in three different trees. Both birds vocalized a loud trilling, twittering song. Photos and videos were taken of the birds together. Both birds also displayed bright yellow undersides that extended up to chests, long black bills, green backs. Kai Mills then had the idea to explore for a possible third TK, his reasoning that if this pair was sticking so close together, a third, solo bird in the paved loop area might prove a third of the species. After exploring paved loop area, Kai spotted a kingbird in lakeside tree (located in loop area). We took photos from the second dock area of the bird and examined them, concluding because of its green back, long dark bill, and notched tail, that it was most likely a TK, and possibly a third of its species in the park. That bird didn’t vocalize and did not fly away when we left that area, eastward, in an attempt to discover the exact number of TKs. We re-entered the small peninsula and heard a single TK vocalizing and had a brief glimpse of a TK in a lakeside willow. We stayed a couple minutes. We then moved eastward, where across from the playground lawn in a tree was a third TK (vocalizing and seen), and a Cassin’s Kingbird. Another TK then flew into the tree and vocalized its trilly, twittery song. Kai and I conferred. We think that two TKs in the park were sticking close together and often singing, possibly to each other, while a possible third was seen in the paved loop as previously noted. Included will be photos of a pair of TKs (from first sighting in small peninsula) and a single specimen of paved loop sighting."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (3)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 07:37 by Nick Belardes
[...]

- Reported Nov 19, 2020 11:53 by Kathanne Lynch
- Laguna Lake Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6903817&<ll...>,-120.6903817
- Comments: "Continuing. Observerd nearly the entire time of my visit from 10:10-11:40. Two instances of short (30-60 seconds) squabbles with one Cassin's Kingbird."

Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) (1)
- Reported Nov 18, 2020 14:32 by Kees Eglowski
- [Home] Hill Park, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.6282493&<ll...>,-120.6282493
- Comments: "Continuing"

Clay-colored Sparrow (Spizella pallida) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 15:53 by Jay Carroll
- Butte Drive and MBSP South Bay, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8566748&<ll...>,-120.8566748
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Spizella with pale lores, buffy auricular, grayish central crown stripe; photos."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 14:33 by Mike Stiles
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Sparrow found by Jim Royer in his front yard. Tiny sparrow, noticeably smaller than adjacent White-crowned Sparrows. Mostly gray to gray-brown underneath and sides of face, with thin white eye-ring. Prominent white wing bars, back light brown with dark brown streaks. Pale reddish lateral crown stripes. Fed mostly on seed thrown on ground, sometimes in feeder. The bird had a reddish growth under the bill."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:30 by Mike Bush
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Sparrow, smaller than side-by-side White-crowned Sparrows and an overall lighter pale tan color. White eye-ring. Pale rufous short strip behind the eye, matching two stripes over the crown, all separated by lilght gray. Legs and bill orange. Odd pink bulbous growth under lower mandible."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:15 by Jeanette Stone
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Jim Royer observed this bird in his front yard/bird feeders on 11/20. He posted to the local birders group. Numerous birders responded and were thrilled to observe and photograph this rare siting. A small sparrow with a distinct white eyering, a pink bill, and pale grayish underparts with soft orangey highlights."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:12 by Pair of Wing-Nuts
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "This bird, found earlier in the day by Jim Royer, was noticeably smaller than nearby White-crowned Sparrows and was buffy-gray below with dark brown streaks on upper back, brownish crown stripes, complete white eye-ring, pink beak and pinkish-red growth directly below lower mandible."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:10 by Roger Zachary
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Birding with Ruth and MOB; reported by Jim Royer; 1 image"

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:52 by Nick Belardes
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted earlier in the day by Jim Royer at his bird feeder. I arrived around noon with Kai Mills to find this pale, small sparrow. Ten or so birders had already gathered and sighted the bird. We were informed it had been about 20 minutes since the bird had been seen in the area of the feeder. Several minutes later, Will Knowlton spotted the bird on a branch. The bird soon hopped to the ground where it foraged. I took photos and shot a video of the bird, which was about the size of a Chipping Sparrow (much smaller than the nearby White-crowned Sparrows). The bird repeated this behavior about three times over the next hour. It would fly into a tree out of sight, then arrive in a tree near the feeder, then fly down to the ground and forage, once even jumping onto a rock. The bird was also seen in a neighbor’s yard and briefly on a fence. The bird had a pale underside with very faint streaks of a slightly buffy color. It has slight buff on its cheeks like a rouge, white eyerings, whitish throat, and a faint buff to its crown. Black and brown streakiness to wings, and white wingbars. Its bill and legs are pink. The bird also has an abcess beneath its bill, which I wondered if it created any problem with its feeding. The bird opened and closed its mouth a few times, almost as if uncomfortable, though that could just be me projecting my own feelings onto the bird. According to Californiabirds.org this is the 21st record of a Field Sparrow in California. The California Bird Records Committee might not have accepted that many records of this accidental winter vagrant."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:52 by Kai Mills
[...]

- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:38 by Tom Edell
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "Jim Royer found this bird at his front yard feeders. When I arrived several people were looking for the bird. It soon showed up back at the feeder and while I was here it twice more left and came back to the feeders. It seemed to prefer foraging for seen on the ground though it visited a hanging feeder too. It once moved the next yard to the east where it drank from a water dish. In a side by side comparison with a White-crowned Sparrow, this bird was distinctly smaller in size and had a smaller bill. It was a rather dull colored bird with grayish underparts and a mostly grayish face. The most noticeable feature on the bird was a bright rose colored growth on its chin, just below the bill. The bill color appeared more orangish than pink in the field (and photos) and was a similar in color to the legs and feet. That said, I have seen some photos of this bird in which the bill looks pink. There was a faint reddish wash on the face behind the eye and a bit stronger reddish wash on the crown that continued onto the back of the nape. Between these two features was a broad gray supercilium. There was also a faint buffy wash at the shoulder and down the sides. It had a thin pale eyering that did not standout from distance. The bird had a gray collar that wrapped across the nape. The back was tan colored with dark streaks. My photos show broadly buffy edged tertials with broad dark centers. The white tips to the greater and median coverts formed two obvious wingbars. The tail was brown with pale edged feathers. This is the first SLO county record. (Photos)"

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:36 by Will Knowlton
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Another fantastic first county record found by Jim Royer. The bird was observed going to his feeders in the front yard and to the house on the corner of the street that has a water dish and wooden fence."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:10 by Jeff Miller
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Found by Jim Royer. Small Spizella sparrow with gray body, rufous in wings, two faint white wing bars, faint rufous stripes on crown, entirely pink bill, complete narrow white eye ring. Has growth below bill. Photos"

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:06 by Jay Carroll
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Found by Jim Royer at his residential seed feeder and seen by many observers; a small sparrow with grayish unmarked lower parts and face, brown and black streaked back and wings, two whitish wings bars, pink bill and legs, thin white eyering; had a small pink tumor-like growth just below the lower mandible."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 10:48 by Jim Royer
- Field Sparrow Stake Out, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507127&<ll...>,-120.8507127
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "I found this bird in my yard a little before 11 am. This small sparrow (noticeably smaller than White-crowned Sparrows) caught my attention immediately with the rusty in the crown, a small orange bill, unstreaked grayish underparts with some brownish in the chest, complete white eyering, two white wingbars, a streaked back with some rusty in the wing coverts, and edges of secondaries and tertials, orange legs, and a gray face with rusty in the upper auricular. (It also had an injury or pink growth below the bill.) Other local birders saw the bird shortly after I found it."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:10 by Carol Comeau
- Henrietta Ave, Los Osos, private residence, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8509254&<ll...>,-120.8509254
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Adult Gray Field Sparrow found by Jim Royer at his yard feeders on Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. County Record. Observed by many. When I arrived the Field Sparrow was feeding on ground seed with a group of White-crowned Sparrows. The group was flushed by a large truck and a cat. The birds returned about 10-15 minutes later and began foraging on the ground again. Pinkish bill and legs. White eye ring. Gray medial crown stripe with reddish stripes on both sides. Plain gray breast and underbelly. Striped back. The bird has a tumor/growth under its lower mandible. See photos."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 11:10 by Anonymous eBirder
- Henrietta Ave, Los Osos, private residence, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8509254&<ll...>,-120.8509254
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Adult Gray Field Sparrow found by Jim Royer at his yard feeders on Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. County Record. Observed by many. When I arrived the Field Sparrow was feeding on ground seed with a group of White-crowned Sparrows. The group was flushed by a large truck and a cat. The birds returned about 10-15 minutes later and began foraging on the ground again. Pinkish bill and legs. White eye ring. Gray medial crown stripe with reddish stripes on both sides. Plain gray breast and underbelly. Striped back. The bird has a tumor/growth under its lower mandible. See photos."

Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 12:30 by Kaaren Perry
- Royer residence, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8507684&<ll...>,-120.8507684
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "This small spizella sparrow was found by Jim Royer at his residence. The bird was moving with a flock of White-crowns, a few goldfinch and Pine Siskin were the most prevalent . The bird appeared several times perched on large rocks surrounding the ground feeding area. Field marks that helped separated from the WCSP by a much less prominent median crown stripe, grayish/buffy underparts
buffy streaked back and most obvious was the eye bold eyeing and pink bill. The bill appeared larger that it was due to a same colored growth just below the lower mandible on the chin. The bird appeared at the feeding station several times during my visit, occasionally leaving with the flock for a few minutes before again returning. Many birders gathered to view this super rarity with mega cameras and I am looking forward to viewing them."

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 09:58 by Derek Nunes
- Islay Creek Campground--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8838502&<ll...>,-120.8838502
- Comments: "Continues on grass area in front. Black throat, distinctive pattern on head."

Streak-backed Oriole (Icterus pustulatus) (1)
- Reported Nov 17, 2020 09:55 by Susan Gilliland
- Islay Creek Campground--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8838502&<ll...>,-120.8838502
- Comments: "Continuing - bright orange oriole with white in wings - soft rattle call recorded. very skulky bird first seen at 11:30 site 12 in coffeeberry. Then mostly heard and seen x3 in coffee berries and on ground along hillside adjacent sites."

Streak-backed Oriole (Icterus pustulatus) (1)
- Reported Nov 17, 2020 09:55 by Frank Gilliland
- Islay Creek Campground--Montana de Oro SP, San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8838502&<ll...>,-120.8838502
- Comments: "Continuing - bright orange oriole with white in wings - soft rattle call recorded. very skulky bird first seen at 11:30 site 12 in coffeeberry. Then mostly heard and seen x3 in coffee berries and on ground along hillside adjacent sites."

Black-throated Gray Warbler (Setophaga nigrescens) (1)
- Reported Nov 20, 2020 14:06 by Jeff Davis
- Morro Bay Estuary (use more specific location(s) when possible), San Luis Obispo, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.8501072&<ll...>,-120.8501072
- Comments: "Female"