Date: 11/21/20 4:57 am
From: Rita Goranson <ritag...>
Subject: [ia-bird] tufted titmouse
For three years we have had one to several Tufted Titmouse this far north.
At the same time, Carolina Wrens moved in. The Carolina Wren has expanded
with a number having been seen in different areas this year. However Tufted
Titmouse has declined and in fact was not reported at all this year in the
area. It seems that the Titmouse has only one spot in the Waterloo area
where it can be found. Otherwise Boone or Iowa City is the place to go. It
is seen up the Mississippi River as far as La Crosse.

I find it strange that one species, perhaps with global warming, has spread
into our area, and another tried to get a hold in here and then left the
area. Is it what the birds are eating that determines if they stay in an
area??? Is it habitat ??? What would make one species continue on and the
other to quit the area??? We had looked forward to having the Titmouse in
our yards but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Thank you to those who responded to my initial request. And if anyone has
any ideas on the above matter, please let me know.

Rita G.

Mason City