Date: 11/20/20 6:32 pm
From: Gillian Smits via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Red Crossbill
I was very excited to see a Red Crossbill this afternoon on the Canton side of Nepaug Reservoir.

I first heard the call and then saw the bird fly into a pine tree next to the reservoir. It was feeding on the pine cones and difficult to see at first. I started playing the type 10 call on my Merlin app and it seemed to pay attention to this as it promptly moved to an open branch of the tree where I was able to get some photos of it. It appears it was a male.

It was generally a very bird day there today with the warm weather and there were lots of red breasted nuthatches around, ruddy ducks, common and hooded mergansers, a horned bill grebe and pileated woodpecker among others.

Gillian
Avon, CT