Date: 11/20/20 6:31 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (20 Nov 2020) 22 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 20, 2020

Black Vulture 4 63 267
Turkey Vulture 10 133 741
Osprey 0 0 191
Bald Eagle 2 81 431
Northern Harrier 0 10 68
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 51 2308
Cooper's Hawk 0 13 230
Northern Goshawk 0 2 7
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 56 126
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 3856
Red-tailed Hawk 5 438 1090
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 1 69 77
American Kestrel 0 0 171
Merlin 0 2 69
Peregrine Falcon 0 3 51
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 30 203

Total: 22 951 9886

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Jeff Hopkins, Rick Gaeta, Ron Kline

Visitors:
Just a few overnight hikers, all really nice, we enjoyed them sharing their
adventurous spirits.

Weather:
A pleasant, partly cloudy, sunny day with a low temperature of 44F and a
high temperature of 54F. Winds were WSW in the morning, 2-6 mph to start,
and then SW in the afternoon with winds dropping to 1-3 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Today's count was started by Ron Kline, PHD, aka Doctor Merlin. Thank you
Ron for all the Fridays you led this season as the lead counter, and all
the many years you coordinated the BOK Hawk Count flawlessly.

Bald Eagles (2): An adult pair at 1331 EST

Golden Eagle (1): 1123 EST (Adult)

Non-raptor Observations:
On my last count day of the season, the most significant non-related raptor
observation is that when long time raptor enthusiasts are gathered with
very low flight activity, I learn so much. The platform of the North
lookout is transformed into a stage, and each of the observers morph into
improvisational educators sharing knowledge about an array of topics I
never even heard about. I am left wondering if I could apply for CEU's for
an odd sort of certification of eclectic knowledge. Also, I think this
group could be on PBS to offer Netflix reviews and recommendations. For
the rest of this COVID year, my wife and I are set for TV viewing, fire up
the popcorn. Yes, it was that slow on BOK today, yet these days are some
of my favorite experiences in nature, albeit human nature.

Winter and Caroline Wrens, 2 Ravens, lots of empty skies.

Predictions:
Some sun in the morning with increasing clouds during the afternoon. High
58F, winds from the NW at 5mph but mostly light and variable.
Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!