Date: 11/20/20 6:25 pm
From: kim chase <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender brilliantimages for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: 4 Red-necked Grebes - Portland
I agree that the impact on birding and natural spaces is unusually inconvenient this year. There is no reason to attack someone for reporting the changes that are happening all around us. Getting outside, away from humans and enjoying nature is the best way to cope with the stresses of 2020. This does not reflect on how someone is taking the "pandemic" seriously or not. The impact of lockdowns and limiting our normal movement will ultimately be way worse than the pandemic itself. Especially mental health and suicidal ideology impacts among us. THANK YOU all for your updates on sites and sightings. It is great hearing about it every bit of it even if we cannot make the rounds as thoroughly ourselves. Blessings to you ALL!Kim & Jeremy Chase
On Friday, November 20, 2020, 04:49:06 PM PST, Kevin Scaldeferri <kevin...> wrote:

I'm sorry some people are taking the pandemic seriously and some other people are suffering worse impacts from the current situation than you are.
On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 4:44 PM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:

Steven Rogers and did some Portland birding today.

4 Red-necked Grebes at Boughton Beach was a high number for Portland in my experience.

It was depressing to drive to the once fabulous birding spots that I went to for decades. Merritt’s Ranch on Gertz Road is  now industrial.  The pond at Westmoreland is now a stream that has been re-made for salmon habitat. The little sloughs near Faloma where Black-crowned Night Herons were reliable now are inaccessible due to construction.  I would be a bit surprised if there are any night-herons there anymore.  The reed College Pond is off limits. The Eastmoreland Lake is off limits due to COVID.  And where are the wigeon?  There used to be several thousand total in the Columbia Bottoms and at Eastmoreland   Mock’s Bottom is long industrialized. Etc.  Etc.  - not to mention the “un-homed" camps everywhere  At least Cackling Geese, Common Goldeneyes, and Greater Scaup are more common than they used to be.   Etc.  Etc.  - not to mention the “un-homed" camps everywhere.

On a brighter note, the Vanport Wetlands have a lot of ducks, especially Green-winged Teal.  I predict that it will the first place n Oregon to find a chase-able Baikal Teal,  but not today.

Jeff Gilligan

*******
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!