Date: 11/20/20 4:44 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] 4 Red-necked Grebes - Portland
Steven Rogers and did some Portland birding today.

4 Red-necked Grebes at Boughton Beach was a high number for Portland in my experience.

It was depressing to drive to the once fabulous birding spots that I went to for decades. Merritt’s Ranch on Gertz Road is now industrial. The pond at Westmoreland is now a stream that has been re-made for salmon habitat. The little sloughs near Faloma where Black-crowned Night Herons were reliable now are inaccessible due to construction. I would be a bit surprised if there are any night-herons there anymore. The reed College Pond is off limits. The Eastmoreland Lake is off limits due to COVID. And where are the wigeon? There used to be several thousand total in the Columbia Bottoms and at Eastmoreland Mock’s Bottom is long industrialized. Etc. Etc. - not to mention the “un-homed" camps everywhere At least Cackling Geese, Common Goldeneyes, and Greater Scaup are more common than they used to be. Etc. Etc. - not to mention the “un-homed" camps everywhere.

On a brighter note, the Vanport Wetlands have a lot of ducks, especially Green-winged Teal. I predict that it will the first place n Oregon to find a chase-able Baikal Teal, but not today.

Jeff Gilligan

*******
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!