Date: 11/20/20 3:16 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Great-tailed Grackle in Portland
they are one of the species rapidly expanding their range northward thanks,
in part at least, to climate change, less than twenty years ago I had to go
to Monterey to see them, atop traffic lights in a busty intersection,
screaming louder than the trucks..a couple years later they were in San
Francisco, Before 2014 they had arrived in Jackson County,OR, to breed
though they apparently migrate out for winter...if they get established in
the Willamette Valley they will do well in marshy areas. Hard to
believe the first time I saw one was in the 1980s on the lawns of the
university campus in Las Cruces, that was their native range...back then

--
Harry Fuller
author of: *San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:*

Join us on Facebook!