Date: 11/20/20 11:50 am
From: anneboby <00000038cbe79a41-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Hoary Redpoll in Norwich
Chris - I think you and Eleanor are correct about the bird's ID as a Hoary, based on my experience having banded 4 of them in my yard back in the 60's and 70's when redpolls were numerous.  You mention one field mark that Eleanor does not: unstreaked rump.  Otherwise, the conspicuously stubby bill, unstreaked undertail coverts, ghostly appearance as well as unstreaked rump are all characteristic of a Hoary.  Good find!
Bob YunickSchenectady, NY