Date: 11/20/20 6:50 am
From: Bill Evans <wrevans...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Loon migration alert - Sat morning
Thanks to all who posted loon migration reports last week. While I realize my credibility has taken a hit as a big flight prognosticator, all signs look good for a HEFTY loon flight tomorrow morning (Saturday 21Nov).

If you’d like to report numbers using the old protocol developed by Bob Meade, tally totals for 15-minute periods with period 1 the 15 minutes before sunrise, period 2 the first 15 minutes after sunrise, and so forth. The peak loon flight typically comes off Cayuga & Seneca Lakes in periods 1-3 and the Lake Ontario peak passes over the Ithaca/Watkins Glen area and a broad swath of the Southern Tier during periods 5-9. Based on past reports, it seems loon migration largely finishes crossing the region by the end of period 10.

Sunrise tomorrow in Ithaca is 7:06, so the Meade periods Saturday are:

Period 1 – 6:52-7:06
Period 2 – 7:07-7:21
Period 3 – 7:22-7:36
Period 4 – 7:37-7:51