Date: 11/19/20 11:36 pm
From: TIM JANZEN <tjanzen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a jaeger, or parasitic persuasion?
If you look closely at the photo, there seem to be one or two short central tail feathers that project beyond the rest of the tail feathers. This would be consistent with a Parasitic Jaeger. I think that the overall proportions of the bird (relatively heavy body and relatively short wings) are consistent with a jaeger. I would expect that a Pomarine would show a white flash in the shafts of the primaries, but that white flash isn't always as apparent in a Parasitic. The bill looks somewhat odd, but could potentially be consistent with a Parasitic.
Tim Janzen

> On 11/19/2020 8:58 PM ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> wrote:
>

> here https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/albums/72157609277544338/with/3038351657/ are a few photos of great-winged petrels from my march, 2008, cruise to new zealand. the photo posted by harry is for me, at best, an impression - but not of a great-winged petrel. a close look at the rump of the bird looks a tad lighter than the rest of the upper plumage. it suggests the wavy barred rump on a subadult light-phase parasitic.
>
> best,
> ed mcvicker

Join us on Facebook!