Date: 11/19/20 8:40 am
From: Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Can’t ID
A couple of years ago, while birding along Route 102 somewhere south of Canaan, we found a small flock of Pine Grosbeaks feeding in a crabapple in the front yard of an unoccupied house for sale. It must have been around 4:30pm and in late November or very early December. The lighting was so faint at that time and, to the naked eye, the birds all looked like plump white wing-barred dark gray birds. It was hard to see the colors without a scope or binoculars, or better lighting.

Hope you get to see them again!

Sincerely,
Chris

On Nov 19, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Kim Sargeant <grammiekims...> wrote:

Perhaps they are female Pine Grosbeaks. I didn't see any yellow, but you
are correct that the low lighting affected what I was seeing.

Thanks all
Kim

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM David Guertin <dave...> wrote:

> Female Pine Grosbeak was my thought too.
>
> Dave G.
>
> On 11/19/20 11:23 AM, Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes wrote:
>> Could these be female-type Pine Grosbeaks?
>>
>> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pine_Grosbeak/id
>>
>> The poor lighting may make them appear dull and gray. They usually sit
> rather motionless as they feed. Large, plump birds, munching and mashing
> ornamental or other crabapple-type fruits.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Chris T-H
>>

>> On Nov 19, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Kim Sargeant <grammiekims...>
> <mailto:<grammiekims...>> wrote:
>>
>> For at least two days I have been seeing a small flock of birds feasting
> on
>> the fruit of an ornamental apple. Tiny fruits.
>>
>> The birds are grosbeak size with the same type of tail. They seem to be
>> mostly gray, darker on top, with some whitish wing bars. Though not
> bright
>> white. The sky has been gray, gray birds, no binos while walking my
> pup. I
>> haven’t found them in my Nat Geo Birds of North America book.
>>
>> Kim
>>
>> --
>> Chris Tessaglia-Hymes
>> PO Box 488