Date: 11/19/20 5:34 am
From: Diane Morton <dianegmorton...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] CBC Motus Station - Fall detections
I wanted to let area birders know about Cayuga Bird Club's Motus station at
Myers Park, and the migratory birds we've detected there this season.

Motus tracking, which uses tiny radio transmitters attached to birds or
other wildlife to follow their movements, depends on having an array of
receiving stations to detect the tagged individual as it passes by. That
information is then relayed to the Motus network, where it can be accessed
by migration researchers throughout the international Motus network.

Last Fall, Cayuga Bird Club voted to install a Motus station in southern
Central New York, filling a gap in the array of Motus receivers. Bryant
Dossman, a Cornell graduate student who studies migration, helped us build
the tower and get the receiver up and running. The town of Lansing was very
supportive in allowing us to locate the receiving tower at Myers Park.

After putting up the tower in late October, 2019, we had our first
detection -- of an American Woodcock -- on November 7. The bird had been
detected just three hours earlier on the same evening at Amherst and Wolfe
Islands in Ontario, about 150 miles north of us! 33 hours later, the bird
was in North Carolina. You can see the map of this woodcock's migratory
movements here: https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=24936.

This Fall, our Myers Point receiving station has detected six migratory
birds: a nightjar (probably Common Nighthawk), Blackpoll Warbler,
White-throated Sparrow, two Rusty Blackbirds, and an American Pipit.
The blackbirds were tagged at L’Observatoire d’Oiseaux de Tadoussac, QC;
one was detected on 10-25 and the second on 10-31 at Myers Point. These
maps of these two blackbirds show remarkably similar trajectories. The two
blackbirds were most recently detected by receivers in Northern Maryland
that are 27 miles apart from one another. (Maryland detections on November
12 and November 6). https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=30032 and
https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=22981.

We've added a Motus page to our CBC website about birds detected at Myers
Point: http://www.cayugabirdclub.org/motus. Please, check it out! It can be
quite interesting to see the migratory maps for different species. We also
provide instructions there for exploring our detections on the
motus.org website.

Pretty fun!

Diane Morton
Cayuga Bird Club