Date: 11/19/20 4:49 am
From: Paul Wieczoreck <mgcpw...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Rare avian event?
Yesterday while working outside in Burlington I was fortunate enough to observe what has to be a rare avian event in the Green Mt State. Taking a momentary pause from the noisy project I was working on, I removed my hearing protection and was a bit bewildered when I heard a series of distant guttural rattles from above me. I looked up and was amazed to see a large flock of Sand Hill Cranes passing south over the Queen City! I quickly ran to my car where my spotting scope was actually ready and was able to get on them. At one point they turned direction and started back towards the north, affording better looks at the contrasting dark and light wing pattern, long necks and trailing legs. I could also faintly pick up some red on the heads of some of the birds when the light was just right. I was able to make several counts before they faded into the distance and estimate a total of 60 birds. Truly a beautiful site and so unexpected! I would be curious if anyone else has spotted this flock, and how likely it is to see Sand Hill Cranes migrating through Vt in these numbers.

Paul Wieczoreck
Hinesburg

Join us on Facebook!