Date: 11/18/20 5:56 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Hooded Mergansers
This reminds me, during my Loon Watch this morning I was impressed by about 40 Hooded Mergansers on the Inlet to my north opposite the CU & IC crew boathouses, but 150 really is a lot! I thought I heard gunfire far to the north and wondered if the Hooded Mergansers were taking refuge from the lake. In addition to the large number of Hooded Mergansers, I saw a more typical 9 Common Mergansers, and among them two female Red-breasted Mergansers, which is very unusual in Cayuga Inlet. If I had been looking from my windows or deck, instead of from the NYS-89 bridge, they could have been new yard birds. I saw one of them catch a fish.

Also I saw groups of 8, 2, and 20 Double-crested Mergansers in more-or-less southbound flight, which is more than I have seen on the south end of Cayuga Lake recently.

- - Dave Nutter

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 8:36 PM, Judith Jones <jwj2...> wrote:
>
> Saw about 150 Hooded Mergansers at 4:30 pm today on the Cayuga Inlet between the Marina entrance and the boat houses. Also a single mockingbird in the brush at the edge of the golf course.
>

> --

> ARCHIVES:
> 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/<cayugabirds-l...>/maillist.html

> http://ebird.org/content/ebird/