Date: 11/17/20 10:45 pm
From: Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...>
Subject: [obol] Swan ID
I also thought the swan was a tundra swan. Two other points I wonder if
people agree with?

I had a gestalt impression of a straight neck instead of a longer, curvier
neck than with a trumpeter. Also, it being mid November, this bird already
looks like it is showing more white which is on schedule for a young tundra
but too early for young trumpeters which don’t lighten up until spring I
believe.

I also looked at forehead patterns and it seems young tundra swans in
particular defy the typical forehead profiles quite a bit. Lots of young
tundras with deeply pointed foreheads.

Tricky ID for sure.

Matt Cahill
Bend