Date: 11/17/20 4:41 pm
From: Darrel Faxon <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tundra or Trumpeter? And a question
No way to tell on this bird, of course, but a real definitive mark, which helps to separate young swans is the color of the feet. Tundra has entirely black feet. Trumpeter has black feet with some yellow in the webbing and toes. I suspect foot size is also helpful. I can't say I've ever studied it on Tundra Swan, but some years ago there was a disputed young swan at Eckman Lake, Lincoln County, that turned out to be a Trumpeter. I was able to observe it at close range, and the feet were so massive it almost looked like the bird could have walked on water.
Darrel