Date: 11/17/20 4:14 pm
From: danasiefer <danasiefer...>
Subject: [ia-bird] black scoter or ruddy duck
Hi,

Can someone please tell me if these are ruddy ducks or black scoters? I saw
them on Storm Lake tonight at sunset, there were 5 of them. Some did not
have the white face patch. This was the only photo that turned out in
between waves.

Also, if they are ruddy ducks, what about their appearance gives away their
ID? When I look at photos I can't decide and I have already mistaken one
for the other this year.

Thanks,
Dana

[image: blackscotermaybe.JPG]