Date: 11/17/20 11:56 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tundra or Trumpeter? And a question
Hi:

It is absolutely ok to ask for id help on OBOL. I think most folks would
appreciate you making an effort to id the bird so informative help can be
given, So it is great that you stated what you thought and why. The bill
shape is a bit tougher to differentiate on young swan, but the skin on
Trumpeter reaches back and touches the eye, Tundra Swan has the skin end
right in front of eye. Trumpeter juveniles usually have black at base of
bill, Tundra juvenile has pink reach back farther into base of bill and
often show white where the yellow will develop. Not clear here of course,
but a Trumpeter Swan is a massive bird compared to a Tundra, standing next
to each other it is almost like a goose to a duck. So I say Tundra.

Bob Archer

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 11:24 AM Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...> wrote:

> Good morning Obolers,
> I have two questions. One pertains to a bird ID; the other to the
> accepted etiquette or conventions on OBOL concerning ID requests.
>
> Someone made a reference awhile back to the 'dreaded ID question' and I'm
> looking for some guidance on what subscribers see as ok or not ok in this
> regard. I try really hard to figure out IDs on my own, but I often need
> help. The empid ID thread was very useful and educational for me, but my
> skill level is nowhere near that rarified strata. Me? I'm poring over
> Sibley and my photos trying to figure out if a juvenile swan is a Tundra or
> a Trumpeter.
> So, is it generally ok to ask for simple id help or is it an unspoken
> breach of list etiquette? If the latter, I apologize for my next question!
> Driving home to La Grande yesterday, after a terrific birding trip in the
> Olympic Peninsula with Stefan Schlick and a lovely flock of birders, I
> stopped at Deschutes River SP, where I found a solitary juvenile swan. I
> am stumped. To me, it looks more like a TRUMPETER, based on the pointed
> border at the top of the bill, and what may be a straighter edge along the
> side of the bill? No yellow on bill, but that might not matter on a
> juvenile bird? A Tundra would be more likely, but I'm uncertain and would
> like to know what else I should be looking at. I appreciate any help!
> Here <https://photos.app.goo.gl/YezX9LQ8fyzuTDgn7> is the link to 3
> photos in Google Photos in case the uploads don't work.
> Cheers,
> Rebecca
>
> --
> Dr. Rebecca Hartman
> Associate Professor of History
> History Department
> Eastern Oregon University
> http://eou.edu/history
> 541-962-3599
>

> *The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to
> grow sharper.”*― Eden Phillpotts

Join us on Facebook!