Date: 11/17/20 11:51 am
From: 'Betty Lucas' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] North Central Iowa Birding
The Hampton Cemetery in Franklin County was a busy spot this morning. Several RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and a flock of two dozen PINE SISKINS were seen, along with 15 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS and a group of 6 RED CROSSBILLS. I tried to get a recording of the Red Crossbills, but the cold temps drained my phone battery before I could. I doubt that the crossbills will stick around as there aren't many cones on the pine trees this year. At Clear Lake in Cerro Gordo County a WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was on the far west end near the Ventura grade. TRUMPETER SWANS are starting to gather in large groups (50+) in the cornfields with a few TUNDRA SWANS mixed in. Seems like it's been a good year for CAROLINA WRENS up here. Rita Goranson and Carolyn Fischer continue to see one in their yards occasionally. At my feeders I still have WHITE-THROATED, HARRIS'S, and FOX SPARROWS, and strangely a lingering female SCARLET TANAGER joined the sparrow crew a week ago and continues on. She subsists on sunflower hearts/chips that are scattered on the ground, and often hangs out with the sparrows in the brush pile.

Betty LucasMason City