Date: 11/17/20 11:50 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Trumpeter or Tundra?
Totally Trumpeter. Swans of any kind are hard to get in Wasco and adjacent Sherman(?) Counties. But both species are regular on the Washington shore of Skamania County. I highly recommend State Hwy 14 for daytime drives between Vancouver/Portland and Hood River/The Dalles. Birdy habitat all the way, and a chance for direct sunlight in the dark season. There are three parcels of Federal Wildlife refuge , Franz Lake hosting Trumpeters every time l've stopped at the highway shoulder observation deck.      As for ID requests, any disclaimers or displays of deference are made with the kindest of intentions. I have yet to encounter an "inappropriate ID request" in the 12 or 13 years l've been reading Obol. And Rebecca, these photos are awesome, truly textbook examples. I've yet to see these field marks so well in real life.Another, far more subjective trait beyond billmargin shape is head color. Note the very cold gray of this juvenile's head. Tundra juveniles are a warmer gray. Something that might stand out in a mixed flock, and under unfavorable light/distance conditions.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!