Date: 11/17/20 11:44 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tundra or Trumpeter? And a question
This is a perfectly fine use of OBOL for an i.d. question. Why? Because you have done your homework. You looked in a guide to try to figure it out. And it wasn’t easy.

What is the swan? Ugh. Some birders from further north than me, or Gary Ivey, would have more experience with young swans. The bill looks very much the color of a young Tundra because a trumpeter should be black at the base. However, this bird is gray at the base and a Tundra should be pink all the way back. The pointed feather margin at the base of the bill is good for Trumpeter. To me the eye looks like it is floating in the face, not part of the coloration of the bill. Better for Tundra. But the face in front of the eye also looks slightly worn, so maybe a less useful mark.

I await the verdict from swan people.

Alan Curmudgeon
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:23 AM, Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...> wrote:
>
> Good morning Obolers,
> I have two questions. One pertains to a bird ID; the other to the accepted etiquette or conventions on OBOL concerning ID requests.
>
> Someone made a reference awhile back to the 'dreaded ID question' and I'm looking for some guidance on what subscribers see as ok or not ok in this regard. I try really hard to figure out IDs on my own, but I often need help. The empid ID thread was very useful and educational for me, but my skill level is nowhere near that rarified strata. Me? I'm poring over Sibley and my photos trying to figure out if a juvenile swan is a Tundra or a Trumpeter.
> So, is it generally ok to ask for simple id help or is it an unspoken breach of list etiquette? If the latter, I apologize for my next question!
> Driving home to La Grande yesterday, after a terrific birding trip in the Olympic Peninsula with Stefan Schlick and a lovely flock of birders, I stopped at Deschutes River SP, where I found a solitary juvenile swan. I am stumped. To me, it looks more like a TRUMPETER, based on the pointed border at the top of the bill, and what may be a straighter edge along the side of the bill? No yellow on bill, but that might not matter on a juvenile bird? A Tundra would be more likely, but I'm uncertain and would like to know what else I should be looking at. I appreciate any help!
> Here <https://photos.app.goo.gl/YezX9LQ8fyzuTDgn7> is the link to 3 photos in Google Photos in case the uploads don't work.
> Cheers,
> Rebecca
>
> --
> Dr. Rebecca Hartman
> Associate Professor of History
> History Department
> Eastern Oregon University
> http://eou.edu/history <http://eou.edu/history>
> 541-962-3599
>
> The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”
> ― Eden Phillpotts
>

> <swan front view possibly pointed bill border.JPG><swan side view.JPG>

Join us on Facebook!