Date: 11/17/20 11:24 am
From: Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...>
Subject: [obol] Tundra or Trumpeter? And a question
Good morning Obolers,
I have two questions. One pertains to a bird ID; the other to the accepted
etiquette or conventions on OBOL concerning ID requests.

Someone made a reference awhile back to the 'dreaded ID question' and I'm
looking for some guidance on what subscribers see as ok or not ok in this
regard. I try really hard to figure out IDs on my own, but I often need
help. The empid ID thread was very useful and educational for me, but my
skill level is nowhere near that rarified strata. Me? I'm poring over
Sibley and my photos trying to figure out if a juvenile swan is a Tundra or
a Trumpeter.
So, is it generally ok to ask for simple id help or is it an unspoken
breach of list etiquette? If the latter, I apologize for my next question!
Driving home to La Grande yesterday, after a terrific birding trip in the
Olympic Peninsula with Stefan Schlick and a lovely flock of birders, I
stopped at Deschutes River SP, where I found a solitary juvenile swan. I
am stumped. To me, it looks more like a TRUMPETER, based on the pointed
border at the top of the bill, and what may be a straighter edge along the
side of the bill? No yellow on bill, but that might not matter on a
juvenile bird? A Tundra would be more likely, but I'm uncertain and would
like to know what else I should be looking at. I appreciate any help!
Here <https://photos.app.goo.gl/YezX9LQ8fyzuTDgn7> is the link to 3 photos
in Google Photos in case the uploads don't work.
Cheers,
Rebecca

--
Dr. Rebecca Hartman
Associate Professor of History

*The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to
grow sharper.”*― Eden Phillpotts

Join us on Facebook!