Date: 11/17/20 9:24 am
From: Derek Richardson <derek.c.richardson...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Red-headed Woodpecker, West Laurel (PG County)
Another Zoom call, another amazing bird: this time yard bird #130 (West
Laurel, PG County), an immature Red-headed Woodpecker! No luck getting a
photo though, and the wind is brutal right now. This is my first RHWO in
the area (which includes T. Howard Duckett reservoir), never mind the yard.
The bird flitted briefly between our trees and the expansive flash of white
caught my eye. It then explored the base of a tree as I tried to get on
it with binoculars. I thought maybe I was seeing a pigeon until it flew to
the trunk of a tree and I could finally clearly see what we had. Cool!

Derek Richardson (he/him/his)
West Laurel MD USA