Date: 11/17/20 7:33 am
From: Scott Morrical <smorrica...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Really late Empid
Dave,
No matter what it was, it is a cool sighting! Definitely an extra-seasonal, and possibly vagrant, empid. Years ago when I documented an overwintering Willow FC in Northern California, the big discussion was whether it could be a vagrant Alder, which the experts considered almost as likely. Likewise when m.ob. saw a vagrant Least FC, the difficulty was separating it from Least and Dusky. Those are the rare instances where some kind of consensus was reached. Usually they just go down as Empidonax sp.!
Scott

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 9:23 AM, David Guertin <dave...> wrote:
>
> Here's today's update: This morning I sat outside for almost two hours trying to relocate the flycatcher, but it is apparently gone. Lacking any more information about this bird (particularly my failure to note anything about primary projection), it will forever remain identified as "Empidonax sp."
>
> But it's fun to speculate about these things, so here's my rampant speculation about what it *might* have been.
>
> At first I was only considering the usual eastern species: Least, Alder, and Willow (ruling out Yellow-bellied because of the color, and Acadian because of the range). But several people have mentioned the possibility of a western vagrant, and the more I've thought about it, the more likely that seems. I think the possibility of a western Empid getting its signals crossed and migrating east instead of south is at least as likely, maybe more so, as an eastern Empid just forgetting to migrate.
>
> So now we have to consider the western Empids as well. I lived for many years in Colorado and saw and heard Hammond's, Dusky, and Cordilleran (Western at the time) Flycatchers, but that was 30 years ago, and whatever I used to know about those birds has long ago been lost. So I need to rely on what I read and what others tell me. Of the western Empids, the most likely candidates are Hammond's and Dusky, ruling out Gray, Buff-breasted, and Cordilleran/Pacific-slope based on coloration (there was no hint of anything yellowish).
>
> The most obvious characteristics that stood out on this bird were a bold, obvious eye ring, and constant, incessant wing flicking (with less constant tail wagging). In hindsight, the eye ring is leading me to retract my earlier speculation about Alder/Willow.
>
> Which leaves us with three possibilities: Least, Hammond's, and Dusky. Moving on to other field marks, this bird had a bit of a crest, giving it that flat-top flycatcher appearance, which would tend to go against Dusky. Furthermore, Scott's description of Hammond's as "compact in size, large-headed, small-billed, and relatively short-tailed" fits this bird to a T. In fact, compact and short-tailed were the first things I noticed about it. The incessant wing-flicking also has me leaning towards Hammond's over Dusky.
>
> So now we're down to two: Least or Hammond's. Primary projection would really help here, but lacking that, which is more likely? Well, neither is likely, but which is less unlikely? I wish I could recall if I've seen Least Flycatchers wing-flick so much, but it seems like I would have remembered if I'd observed that.
>
> So, officially: Empidonax sp. Unofficial speculation: Hammond's. (Or maybe Least. Or maybe something else.)
>
> Dave G., confused
>
>> On 11/16/20 3:43 PM, Scott Morrical wrote:
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!