Date: 11/16/20 12:40 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: cbc ideas
I was assuming local observers. There are enough in the Pendleton-Hermiston-Tri Cities area to do McNary as a day trip without ever talking to another human. Same is true in Lincoln Co and Lane Co. Ontario-Payette probably does but I’m less certain.

I agree with you that commuting long distances in and out of motels and coughing our way home would not be a good idea.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Nov 16, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Joel Geier <clearwater...> wrote:
>
> Alan & All,
>
> If someone is contemplating a new CBC in their own community, drawing only on local talent, then yes, it might be possible to do that safely with just individuals birding alone, and/or established couples / bubblemates.
>
> But if anyone is contemplating driving halfway across the state to scout a proposed circle in a rural community with scant or overtaxed health care resources ....
>
> That defeats the whole purpose of foregoing existing CBCs in similar communities (as in the case of Antone), or limiting them to local participants (as some other eastern Oregon compilers are planning on).
>
> Hermiston and Ontario furthermore are among the areas that show up in bright shades of red on the map of Oregon's covid hotspots.
>
> Better to wait at least a couple of months, and then test your ideas in February if the plague has waned significantly by then.
>
> Joel
>
> Alan Contreras wrote:
>
> > Given that a lot of official cbcs won’t be held this year, it might be a good
> > time to arrange with a few of your friends to do a test run of areas that might
> > be worth a new cbc in the future.
> >
> > I have draft circles available for Waldport-Yachats, McNary-Hermiston, Pleasant
> > Hill and Ontario-Payette if anyone wants them....
>
> --
> Joel Geier
> Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!